Life at the Manor is good. With individualized attention given to each resident, we fill our precious time with employment, community service, healthful exercise and recreation programs, support group meetings, and fellowship.
Our busy schedules help to build motivation and confidence, and display for our residents, the value of time management. As you can imagine, the logistics of keeping everyone moving can be a challenge… but we always make time to eat a healthful and satisfying meal. While we relish the opportunity to sit together around our farmhouse table and enjoy our family meals, we make certain that our meals-on-the-go are just as enjoyable as those at the house. Chilled spicy soba noodle salad with peanuts and grilled shrimp can hit the spot. Packed with protein, this recipe is a house favorite and lends itself well to travel. Imagine the look on your co-worker’s face when you pull this out at lunchtime!!
We have included our recipe for you to try at home… and taste a sample of the quality, nutritious foods prepared for our residents at the Manor
Spicy Peanut Soba Noodle Salad
Yield: 8 Servings
For the Spicy Peanut Sauce:
5 tablespoons peanut butter
5 tablespoons water
5 tablespoons soy sauce, or tamari for gluten-free
2 tablespoons sesame oil
2 tablespoons honey
juice of 1 lime
1 clove garlic
1/4 cup chili sauce like sriracha (more or less depending on spice tolerance)
1/2 cup peanuts
For the Salad:
1 lb. chicken breast
1 red bell pepper
3–4 cups chopped purple cabbage
10 ounces soba noodles
fresh cilantro or basil to taste
crushed peanuts for topping
- Spicy Peanut Sauce: Puree sauce ingredients in a food processor or blender. Add the peanuts last so you can control how chunky it is (I like to leave it a little more on the chunky side).
- Chicken: Cook the chicken in a skillet over medium-high heat. Season with salt and pepper. When the chicken is cooked through, set aside until cool enough to handle and shred the meat.
- Vegetables: Chop the red pepper, cabbage, and cilantro to your desired size for the salad.
- Noodles: Cook the noodles according to package directions (usually just boiling for a few minutes).
- Assemble: Toss everything together with enough dressing to generously coat everything. Serve hot or cold.
Nutritional Information per serving
Calories Per Serving: 344Total Fat 11.5g14% Cholesterol 41.4mg44% Sodium 1054.7mg13% Total Carbohydrate 40.3g13% Dietary Fiber 3.3gSugars 8.3g49% Protein 24.7g12% Vitamin A 176.2µg63% Vitamin C 37.8mg